Kingdom Hearts II: The 50-Hour Movie - Venus Plays Video Games
Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

Kingdom Hearts II: The 50-Hour Movie

I switched game rental providers last week so I could play the new releases I had been eagerly anticipating. My first choice was Kingdom Hearts II, the popular sequel to the Disney/Square RPG I had beaten last winter. I already had the guide and was excited to play it despite disappointing reviews from my friends. They had warned me of the ridiculous mini-games and errand-runnning, but this was not what I have found to be the problems.

I popped the disc in and watched the opening cinematics, impressed by their clean lines and clever cinematography. The flashiness of the movie helped to hide the fact the clips didn’t really make sense within a narrative structure; I decided it was just a fun way of previewing an intricate plot.

The plot picks up after GameBoy game that takes place in between the first and second games. This linking game’s story was summarized in my strategy guide in a confusing one-paragraph description. The plot, involving regaining memories and running around a castle, seemed far-fetched.

Even more far-fetched was the idea that the game began with an entirely new character, Roxas. He appeared to be a parallel character to the first game’s protagonist, Sora. Roxas dreams about Sora and his memories.

While I do have a capacity for suspension of disbelief even in 60-hour RPGs, I found it hindered by the patience required through all the introductory movies. In a three-hour play session, I literally controlled Roxas for fewer than 30 minutes. This was not even consecutive. This few precious minutes consisted of moving my character around small sections of levels with a extremely basic tutorial.

For a game that requires such a great knowledge of a complex backstory, the tutorial is ridiculously basic. They explain how it’s a good idea to talk to NPCs (who repeat instructions thus far in case you forgot them in the thirty seconds since the last movie). They warn you to be very cautious in fights, yet most enemies can be defeated in a few single hacks.

In the beginning, the game allows you to set the challenge mode. I have been playing on “Standard” mode but am re-considering switching to “Proud” (challenging) mode. (There is also an “Easy” mode for beginners.) This game seems too easy for the seasoned RPG player. Is it geared toward children? If so, the plot would leave even the brightest child behind. I am a college student who understood the first game and am still baffled. How can children be expected to sit through all the movies when everything will go over their heads?

The opening of Kingdom Hearts II is far too dependent on cinematics to convey the plot, which is still a mystery. The gameplay is easy and does not provide a challenge; it tests the players’ patience after waiting through all the movies. However, I am still excited to play this game – I want to get through the Roxas section and believe there are fewer than two hours left of it. I will hold out hope that this game will get more challenging (I can switch modes if needed) and allow me to take more control. If not, I am going to send it back and move on.