Sub-Par Star Wars - Venus Plays Video Games
Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

Sub-Par Star Wars

I finally found some time to get back to playing LEGO Star Wars II with my sister. We were able to complete it in three or four sessions. While I had mixed feelings about this game, it can be analyzed through two very different perspectives: that of the critic and that of those looking to have a fun time.

As a critic, I have several reservations. The first game had straightforward gameplay and a clear path. I was able to play it with my four-year old cousin and still go in the correct general direction. With this game, however, we often found ourselves wandering around rooms, trying to push and pull and jump on everything. We kept scratching our heads, asking, “What do we do now?” We had to resort to a strategy guide online almost every level, while a strategy guide to the last game would be a joke. There was very limited help in the game (i.e. no real tutorial) and success in some levels seemed to be based on sheer luck.

My sister and I would sometimes find ourselves shouting at each other, thinking the other incompetent because the simplest task for the character was ridiculously complicated. One such incident occurred when we were trying to put on stormtrooper hats at a stormtrooper hat machine. These machines are generally placed in the screen before the stormtrooper-activated doors. The screen with the doors had guards that would fire at you, and when a character was hit, they would lose their hat. The guards would not re-spawn. Unfortunately, one of the hat machines was placed in front of a point where enemies would re-spawn at regular intervals. My sister and I would end up arguing, the guards (or even one of us) would end up shooting the other and then the hat machine efforts would go to waste. It was the frivolousness of such efforts that made the play frustrating at times.

The game was far too difficult for small children, making it a poor family game (as it was advertised). From a critical perspective, I felt that this was not a very strong sequel to the original LEGO Star Wars. I have told many other people of my frustration and how it is simply better to stick with the original.

On the other hand, I have to give this game some credit. Thinking back to Bernie DeKovern’s Well-Played Game, it isn’t always about winning or feeling happy and relaxed. Sometimes being totally involved in the game is valuable. Many of DeKoven’s guidelines, such as the willingness to play, safety, trust, and familiarity were met while my sister and I were playing. It did give us a reason to block out time to be together and bond over head-scratching puzzles. Occasionally, the trust was broken (such as the mistaken incompetence issues mentioned above), but we do trust each other to delegate tasks in the cooperative game mode.

The issue of familiarity reminds me of another reason that I had to love this game: it included memorable characters from one of the most beloved series of my childhood. We eagerly anticipated the Endor level for the chance to play an Ewok. Much to our dismay, there was only one Ewok, but we each took a turn and found Wicket adorable even when we were not in control of him. (Although I cannot guarantee that Wicket was always squished by accident under my Chicken Walker’s mechanical foot).

While the familiarity with the series made me roll my eyes at the slapstick-laden movies (such as Darth Vader coughing in the steam as his spaceship’s door is lowered), I have to admit that I did enjoy seeing Star Wars in a friendly LEGO atmosphere. My sister enjoys watching me play games more than playing them, and this one allowed her to join in with relatively little difficulty (compared to my usual RPGs or plaformers). Together, I think we were able to have a well-played game, even if the game was not as well-made as its predecessor.  
Posted under: , , ,