Whee!...Err, Wii. - Venus Plays Video Games
Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

Whee!...Err, Wii.

Today is a very happy day. I finally got my own Wii.

I smuggled the Wii inside from my car, afraid someone might catch a glimpse of my prize. I opened the box and felt I had something truly special. It was the first time I’ve ever gotten a console when it was first released. Perhaps it was because I could actually afford one and I care more about games now than ever before.

I set up the Wii and decided to make a Mii. Like any avatar, there seem to be three choices: making it look like you, making it look like an idealized version of you, or creating something completely different. I chose to make one look like me. It’s a lot of fun to scrutinize your face and features and try to see what makes you look like you. I was pretty pleased with my Mii.

After my Mii was made, I played Wii Sports. I was all alone when I played it and I was so happy. There is something so novel about motion control. Even something as simple as tennis becomes exciting when you really get to swing your arm and get tired. It’s amazing to feel physically exhausted after playing a video game. I fully explored the game, playing all the sports and even taking a fitness test. (I got age 65.)

When my sister came home, she made her own Mii (a pint-sized version of herself). Then we played golf together. I have never really cared for golf in real life and especially disliked golf games. They always seemed really boring. However, Wii Sports golf is much more accessible. Clubs hardly matter and neither does direction. It’s more about how you swing the Wii remote and acceleration.

Perhaps my most exciting experience with my Wii thus far was in obtaining an extra nunchuck. I had been looking online for them and had found that prices were very high – around $50 for a $20 item. I resigned myself to the fact that I would have to wait a long time to get one.

Fortunately, I ran into some luck when visiting family in Portland, Oregon. I walked into a Fred Meyer and, on a whim, I decided to check the electronics department. I was shocked to find several Wii accessories (nunchucks and remotes, at least three of each) just sitting on the shelf. I already had an extra remote, but I needed a nunchuck, so I snatched it up right away at $19.99. I didn’t even have to pay tax (because there’s no tax in Oregon). I asked the clerk how they had so many Wii accessories and it turns out they had gotten them in that morning. While the Wii may not be quite as popular in Portland, Oregon as it was in Los Angeles, it had still been selling out quickly and I was lucky to have walked in that day.

With my lucky Wii nunchuck, I can now challenge my sister to a round of Wii Sports boxing. Hooray for the Wii!  
Posted under: , , ,