Loco for Loco Roco - Venus Plays Video Games
Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

Loco for Loco Roco

My sister is not really someone that I’d consider a “gamer.” She likes to play games, but she is very specific on what she plays. She mainly likes fun, short games like Rayman Raving Rabbids, Katamari Damacy, and Guitar Hero. This is why I was surprised to see her come home one day with a big grin on her face.

“I just played the most awesome game!” she exclaimed. “It’s called Loco Roco and there are a bunch of little guys who sing like this…” She then went on to sing in a voice that resembled someone who had just inhaled helium. I just stood there for a minute, in shock. There was actually a game that sang in that ridiculous voice she found so amusing? And people bought it? This was news to me.

It turned out my sister was telling the truth. This game really was about a bunch of happy, signing, rounded creatures. It was a PSP game and her boyfriend had bought it (for himself). They played it together as a bonding activity.

A couple weeks later, I had the opportunity to play this game myself. I was at a dinner party and my sister’s boyfriend pulled it out. The singing started, and it was so happy that I couldn’t help but smile. Everyone else wondered what I was doing, and they liked the music enough to ask me to plug it into speakers so they could listen, too. While the game may seem like it could be a rhythm game, it’s actually more of a normal platformer…except for one thing: the controls.

Loco Roco’s most innovative feature is how you control the characters by moving the environment. Your only controls are the triggers and one button. The triggers tilt the world, much like the knobs on a wooden labyrinth. Pressing both triggers jolts the world so the characters jump. The other button makes the characters either form into one round blob or separate back into the smaller circles. (Of course, they have a lot to say about either of those actions and will shout in response.)

My sister is also in the game story class with me and she presented this game to our class. We were the only two girls in this class, and I was curious to see how our male classmates would receive it. To my surprise, they laughed at the music and were intrigued. After her presentation, I heard at least three boys say how much they wanted to play the game! It is a ridiculous game, but it’s also ridiculously fun. In an age where almost everything is directly controlled, it’s very refreshing to have indirect control. The game feels so original, and, like Katamari Damacy before it, Loco Roco has the power to captivate my sister.