Unpleasant NiGHTS - Venus Plays Video Games
Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

Unpleasant NiGHTS

Great graphics in a game always leave me in awe. I will often decide that I want to play a game based on a pretty screenshot. I’ll usually check the reviews first, but the aesthetics of a game are really important to me. If it’s not a beautiful world for me to escape to, I generally don’t want to be there.

I became intrigued with the Wii sequel to NiGHTS after seeing some pretty publicity screenshots. It was released last December and got mediocre reviews, so I hesitated before buying it. I recently had the opportunity to play it at a friend’s house, so I made sure to check it out.

NiGHTS was definitely pretty, but I had some serious issues with it. From the beginning, it felt very childish. The little boy had a ridiculous voice, and the children tended to talk in long, drawn-out dialog. I felt that the inclusion of children seemed somewhat forced. Although I realize that it was an essential part of the plot, the idea of putting real children in a fantasy world reminded me of movies I used to watch as a child where they put live actors in cartoons. Very few movies seem to use that concept with any degree of success.

The odd plot already left me skeptical, and I kept finding more to criticize. The children soon met up with Nights, a jester-like nightmaren. My friend had to repeatedly insist that Nights was a guy, as I was convinced by his slender body and high voice that he was a girl. I understand that this may be more acceptable in Japan, but I was left feeling as if I had to repeatedly suspend my disbelief for this game. NiGHTS was in an odd place between fantasy and reality, and I had a hard time accepting this strange genre.

When got past the intro to the actual gameplay, I was shocked by the difficulty of this lovely game that was seemingly geared towards children. While the original Sega Saturn version had used a joystick with full 360-degree control, the Wiimote nunchuck and other Wii-compatible controllers do not allow for unrestricted movement in a circle. The joystick is set into the plastic beneath a mold that restricts movement within an octagon. However, the levels require circular movements and frequent looping. This creates a great deal of frustration on the player’s part, when the circles are coming out choppy and uneven. Catching avian enemies and collecting orbs also became much more difficult due to the poor controls.

There was a bonus feature in this game that didn't make any sense to me: the My Dream area. You could collect odd-looking babies called Nightopians in the levels and they would appear in this open area. The Nightopians were generally annoying to me due to their tendency to cry frequently and the fact that I found their appearance disturbing. In order to survive in the My Dream area, they also had to be fed. I had heard that one of the coolest features of this area was the fact that it had weather integration with the Wii weather channel, but there really wasn't much to do there (other than feeding Nightopians). I found this feature about as useless as the scrapbook in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Maybe it's a Japanese thing.

Despite the confusion and frustration I felt while playing NiGHTS, it did have a few merits. Aside from the Nightopians, much of the game was quite lovely. Some of the music was pretty good. However, the controls and confusing aspects gave me the feeling that I was missing out on the best parts of most of the levels. I only wish I had a Saturn, so I could go back to the original NiGHTS and see what it was supposed to be.  
Posted under: ,