A Comical Episode - Venus Plays Video Games
Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

A Comical Episode

Penny Arcade web comics have been famous with gamers for years for their humorous interpretations of popular games and culture. The writers' wit and charm extend beyond the comics to their news columns, where the writers often give very fair assessments of games. I have a good friend who is a huge Penny Arcade fan, and he was thrilled that the creators of the web comic decided to make a video game.

Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode One was released in late May. While I have recently been enjoying Penny Arcade, I am still new to the comics and don't seem to connect with them as well as my friend. I appreciate the humor, but there have been a few comics that I find a little gratuitously violent or confusing. This influenced the way I saw the game, since the style of the game, from the art to the humor, was a near-perfect translation of the web comic. I appreciated most of the humor, but, like the comic, there were a few moments where I felt that it wasn't quite my taste.

My main issue with the game's style stemmed from what I felt was unnecessary vulgarity. Working in the video game industry, I am often the only woman around, and I'm no stranger to games and jokes tailored to a male audience. I'm not opposed to sexuality or innuendo in games, but having a common enemy in the game constantly making sexual motions, having sexual attacks, and peeing on me is not exactly my cup of tea. This was a slight annoyance to me, and I was willing to put up with it because of the game's other redeeming qualities. However, it's worth noting that the M-rating was put to good use at certain moments, such as when NPCs swore profusely after a shocking event happened. Instead of skirting around the issue with stilted dialogue, the NPCs reacted in a very natural way, which was quite refreshing.

From the comic-book art to the clever writing, I really enjoyed the other aspects of the game's style. The game did a wonderful job translating the 2-D art into 3-D. Cutscenes were in 2-D, but the game took place in a 3-D world. There was a fantastic attention to detail as well. The transitions between sub-areas of a level looked like shifts between comic book cells. My custom character was integrated into the 2-D cutscenes, which was a nice surprise. The level of detail extended to the writing, as every clickable object had clever and often varied captions. Instead of just "So-and-So's Mailbox," I found one mailbox labeled "It's another god%$#@ed mailbox!" This type of humor was fantastic, verbalizing the thoughts I'd often have from other tedious RPGs. This game rewards you for taking the time to look around the world with humor at every click.

I had initially seen this game on the 360, but I played through the demo myself on the PC. The controls seemed similar, but with the 360 you move around with an analog stick and with the PC it's more of a point-and-click adventure. Button-presses for special attacks seem to have all been moved to the spacebar. The PC controls felt natural to me. On dialogue screens, dialgue chioces were presented similar to the style of Mass Effect, where the feeling of the line was conveyed through the dialogue choice but the actual line said something different. Unlike Mass Effect, however, the choices and the actual statements were equally ridiculous and amusing. The combat system was simple but fairly efffiencient. Combat felt very similar to a Japanese RPG due to the turn-based system. However, it was not overly complicated.

This Penny Arcade episode is certainly a promising start. While there are certain stlyistic aspects that I don't enjoy, the developers had a very good understanding of the scope of an episodic game. The game doesn't attempt to be a AAA console title, but it is fantastically clever and entertaining. I hope to enjoy more of it in the future, when I can make some time to play the whole game through.  
Posted under: , ,