PWND by Hobbits - Venus Plays Video Games
Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

PWND by Hobbits

When I tell people how much I've been enjoying Lord of the Rings Online (LotRO), they often stare and me in shock and say, "But there's no PvP!" Well, yes and no. There is no PvP in the normal play modes. You can challenge other players to a duel, but that's about it. However, there is a light PvP mode called Monster Play.

I'm not the type of player that thrives on PvP experiences, but I'm always curious about them. LotRO had a particularly interesting system with Monster Play, a separate mode where you begin as a max-level monster. You can fight against max-level player characters from the normal mode of the game in a special area (Ettenmoors). Originally, I expected a system that would be balanced in my favor (I would win easily against a max-level character from the normal mode). Unfortunately, I found that I was at a disadvantage. While my morale (health points) and power (mana/magic points) were equal to the stats of other players, my opponents had spent hours acquiring a vast array of skills they had mastered. As an Uruk-hai, I began with a handful of skills that were relatively weak and I couldn't heal myself. While I was familiar with the game and controls, I felt clumsy compared to my opponents. Also, I couldn't boost my stats through armor and other upgrades.

The odd thing about Monster Play is how closely it resembles normal play. It uses the same UI, just covered with a new skin. You can follow a single-player path by going on quests given out by NPCs. Some of these quests were very easy, but others seemed quite difficult without companions. I went on one quest to steal food from hobbits. I thought, as a giant Uruk-hai, I could easily take on one or two hobbits. I snuck into the camp, defeated one max-level hobbit who put up a stong fight, and set my sights on a stack of food. It was surrounded by a couple hobbits. My plan was to run in, fight a bit, grab the food, and run out. To my surprise, as soon as I ran in, I was surrounded by a crowd of hobbits within 10 seconds. I watched my "powerful" monster die mercilessly at the chubby little hands of NPCs that looked like children compared to him.

My major issue with watching myself get killed by hobbits was the fact that, as a monster, I expected to feel powerful. I wanted the game to be balanced in my favor and I didn't want to get bested by a bunch of measly NPC hobbits. I didn't expect the game to be easy, but it seems ridiculous to require you to group as a monster. That the game implies that PvP should be a bunch of monsters grouping to fight against strong NPCs or against groups of players from the normal mode. Probably the strangest aspect of Monster Play was how few player-controlled opponents I saw in the area. This meant that there were mainly groups of monsters going up against ridiculously powerful NPCs (such as a Captain with 137,000 morale) to capture forts on the map. I really didn't see the point.

Even more pointless than capturing points over and over again was the fact that I could gain no experience from those difficult quests. Instead, I could gain traits, deeds, titles, and destiny points. I understand that it my be an incentive for some people, but I would much rather take the time to earn those achievements on a character I really enjoy playing, such as my elf lore-master. Perhaps I'm just non competitive enough to enjoy this mode. Whether or not that's true, it seems that the PvP mode is the one area of the game where Turbine faltered. They set the standard too high in the normal mode, and I was expecting something better.