More Okami for Me - Venus Plays Video Games
Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

More Okami for Me

There are few games that you play and actually think, “Wow, if I could make a game like this, my life would be complete.” After playing Okami for an hour, I’m convinced that it will likely be one of those truly innovative games that everyone will wish they had created.

Okami’s most striking feature is the visual design. The world and characters are all made to look like Japanese brush paintings. The designs are a type of hybrid between 2D and 3D, where the lines are in 2D but the watercolor-style colors and character movement create a sense of 3D perspective. After obtaining a paintbrush, you gain the ability to paint the world and mold this fantastic reality.

The story of Okami was laid out like a storybook in the beginning, with simple 2D animation sequences and gibberish voice-over narration. It is based on traditional Japanese mythology, but it was captivating to watch. When the story switches to cinematics later on, the movements of the wolf are captivatingly realistic in their ability to portray her as a living animal. As a former dog owner, I know what expressions dogs can and can’t make.

The gameplay itself is very smooth. The wolf’s movements are animated to highlight the fluidity of this animal’s movements. Fights are fairly straightforward and don’t require a laborious wait. The paintbrush feature aids in battles and can be used to fill in pieces of the environment. Unlike other games, this feature is not in a separate space; the paintbrush can be applied at any time as an overlay for the current view. While the paintbrush will only react to certain objects, this seamlessness in which it is integrated into the game puts the player in the position of the artist and author of reality.

As you may have noticed from the beginning of my blog, I had been feeling frustrated for a long time with my gameplay. I had started several games without getting attached. I miss that feeling of addiction that I found so often with RPGs. Since Final Fantasy X, I have been searching for the next game that would pull me in. With Final Fantasy XII newly released, I thought it would be that. However, I received it in the mail and didn’t even touch it yet. So why was Okami so much more fascinating to me than the other games?

Okami was fairly simple and straightforward in the beginning. It was friendly in that you couldn’t run off the edge of the level and die. The wolf you control never talks, like a real animal. Your companion, a bug, has silly comments that keep the story from being dragged down by stuffy mystical drama. The bug tells you what to do and has character – he gets jealous yet compliments you on your new abilities. The NPCs say interesting things and seem to have their own lives. The visuals are fresh and beautiful and the paintbrush feature is quite innovative.

Traditionally, I have been a sucker for long games with good visual design. Maybe that’s because I want to escape to a world as beautiful (if not more so) than the world we inhabit. I grew up in Oregon, where I was surrounded by lush green. I love the clear blues of tropical oceans and vibrant sunsets. One of my favorite aspects of Final Fantasy X was the use of color. The sunny beaches and vibrant environments made it feel like a vacation. I love taking a trip to imagined worlds in games when it feels like a relaxing, captivating break from life.

I hope to make a game someday as beautiful as Okami. The visual design is only one part. The innovative paintbrush mechanic, seamless movement, and overall fluidity in the fantastic 2D/3D hybrid realm that really make the game shine. I am excited to be able to play more of Okami and rediscover my passion for gaming again.