DotA Avatars - Venus Plays Video Games
Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

DotA Avatars

One of my good friends has been pestering me to learn how to play the Warcraft III mod Defense of the Ancients for a long time now. As a fellow RPG fan, he doesn’t care much for the regular Warcraft III RTS game – now he only play the mods. This weekend, I had some free time so I could finally sit down and learn Defense of the Ancients.

I own a Mac and only recently acquired a wireless mouse with a right-click button. I had previously been avoiding playing Warcraft III because of this physical barrier. However, there was also a mental barrier in that I have never really been attracted to war games or anything involving commanding units (unless you count Battleship). I had barely played the tutorial for Warcraft III when I finally decided to play the mods, hoping that they would have a greater appeal for me.

Defense of the Ancients (aka DotA) turned out to be more fun than I expected. In the beginning, you get to command one hero who can help turn the tides of an otherwise equal battlefield. While each of the games lasted around half an hour, I found that I could gain some sort of attachment to this hero, who essentially became my main focus. I played different heroes each time, and each had their own set of abilities and vocal responses. Some characters were more annoying than others, such as a perky dryad with a voice reminiscent of a ditzy ninth-grader. My friend played a group of goblins that I dubbed the “Band of Muppets” after their silly voices and weak attacks.

There is little customization in the characters, but I found myself going for only female characters. Like an avatar, I wanted to create a character that represented an idealized version of myself. I really enjoyed playing the beautiful, powerful women. I tried to go against my typical hack-and-slash combat mode to play the pretty, agile mages. These characters required some adjustments to my battle tactics, so I tried to learn how to attack from a distance and retreat at the first sign of a weakening defense. After struggling with this new technique for a couple games, I tried to switch to a powerful, combat-based Dragon Warrior. Unfortunately, I died faster than before.

I quickly discovered that I have a long way to go before I can really contribute to a team effort in DotA. I played DotA only against my friend or the computer. I played against my friend once (only after getting the hang of it by playing a few games cooperatively on easy mode against the computer). However, he happened to be very good at killing me – he killed me about seven times for the one kill I managed to get on him, and only by a happy accident. I am a sore loser from my past when I often lost board games to my older, wiser sister. I didn’t want to ruin my fragile self-esteem at the beginner stage so I insisted that he help me win by mentoring me instead of defeating me and leaving me out of the game. I wanted to be able to enjoy the game in the future.

My friend mentioned how DotA is basically an RTS modified to be more like an RPG. As he and I are both big RPG fans, it would make a lot of sense that I feel more attachment to a single hero that I control in this mod as opposed to a band of warriors in the normal game. With a name and a story, these characters jump out. Their vocal responses and special abilities are customized to where you would want to put different types of heroes on opposing teams. It could be a lot of fun to play in a group, where many different people choose characters that fit their player types and personalities. I hope to be able to play with a real team in the future, so maybe their personalities can shine through the heroes they command.